How Best to Recover from a Maryland Über or Lyft Accident
Car-for-hire companies operating in Maryland – specifically Über and Lyft – can be uniquely difficult to deal with when it comes to determining fault, liability, and insurance coverage if you’re injured by one of their drivers. You don’t want to fight either company alone. What you need is a lawyer – an auto accident personal injury lawyer. And one who’s experienced in tackling Über and Lyft head on. You’ve got that lawyer right here at Bowers Law Baltimore – the MD Crash specialists.
But what, you might ask, makes Über and Lyft so problematic? It boils down to this:
- Über and Lyft are taxi-like businesses that offer on-demand for-hire rides.
- Über and Lyft drivers use their own personal vehicles to transport passengers.
- Their cars are not marked other than having a sticker with the company logo on the front windshield.
- Marylanders who need a ride log into the Über or Lyft app to find the nearest driver willing and able to transport them.
- All fares and tips are paid via the app, and no cash changes hands.
- This business model, or method of operation, has led Über and Lyft to argue that the laws governing traditional cab companies simply don’t apply to them.
So what happens if you’re injured by an Über or Lyft driver?
Both Über and Lyft carry insurance that applies when drivers accept passengers through their respective services. Nevertheless, the Über or Lyft driver’s personal liability insurance policy could end up being the primary coverage in an Über or Lyft accident. And that coverage may not cover your injuries adequately. You need someone knowledgeable about personal injury law to investigate the details your accident and the insurance carried by the Über or Lyft driver. Otherwise, there may be no way of ensuring that you receive proper compensation for your medical bills and other losses.
The MD Crash team at Bowers Law Baltimore will handle this investigative work for you – as we’ve done for so many of your Maryland neighbors. Then we’ll skillfully develop your case to discover all applicable insurance policies held by the parties responsible for your accident and its consequences. The knowledge and experience we bring to the table becomes particularly important when an Über or Lyft driver is accepting ride requests but not carrying a passenger at the time of an accident. In those instances – and, indeed, in all Über and Lyft accidents – Bowers Law Baltimore will pursue a complete recovery for your injuries. Call 410-975-7000 or otherwise contact Bowers Law Baltimore today.